Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I managed to get lucky with Marc Hansen...




Marc Hanson is doing a painting marathon this month and turning out four 5x7 PAs each and every day. He posts them for sale at around 8:00 pm PST, and you have to be fast, very, very fast to nab one when they are posted because they go in literally seconds. I managed to type fast enough to get this one after days of missing my timing. I like it for its abstractness, what I think of as a 'typical' MH palette of blue and orange, his trees with the mysterious smudgy sky-holes, and I love the composition on this. I think the division of space and movement is great! I am also fond of the fact that it is a high key piece with really only two values, and they are pretty close to one another as you can see. So, the color version is all playing warms against cools in the same value range to make it work. There is a lot to learn from this little painting.

===============================================================

This is a very busy time, work-wise (I hate grading bottomless piles of papers!!), so haven't had a chance to paint since I screwed up my last one--blech! Am doing a workshop with Ray Roberts this weekend in Laguna Beach, so have been preparing for that making sure that I have the materials and paint colors on his list, prepping panels of the linen on which I like to paint (and normally just tape to something--I figure that I can mount any one that turns out to be a keeper). I have been buying pads of it in large size that I cut up. Last weekend I actually bought a roll of the stuff as Jerry's Artarama had it on sale for an absurdly low price, and that is due to arrive on Friday. Thank goodness for income tax returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment